Police brutality is wrong. Police should not be killing Black Women and Men. My heart hurts for our country, especially for the Black community. I feel angry, upset, sad and frustrated with the deaths of innocent Black people by white police officers – but I know how I feel is nothing compared to how the Black community feels. I understand that I’m a white female who is privileged and that I will never understand how it feels to be black in America, but I do stand with the Black community.
I will do everything in my power to intervene and speak up when I see injustices going on. To fight alongside the Black community. And to one day raise our children to be anti-racist and love everyone by who they are and not by what they look like, who they love or what religion they are.
It’s not enough to just say that what’s been going on is wrong though. We must take action and help make changes. I’ve listed out some resources below to help take those next steps – please note that there are no affiliate links in this post.
- Sign the petition for justiceforbigfloyd.com
- Sign the Color of Change petition here asking for all officers involved in Floyd’s death are brought to justice
If you’re able to, Donate
- George Floyd Memorial Fund: Official GoFundME to support the family
- Ahmaud Arbery Memorial Fund: Official GoFundME to support the family
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: Community-based nonprofit that pays criminal bail & immigration bonds for individuals who have been arrested while protesting police brutality
- The Bail Project: A national nonprofit organization that pays bail for people in need, reuniting families and restoring the presumption of innocence
- Black Visions Collective: A Black, Trans & Queer-led organization that is committed to dismantling systems of oppression & violence, and shifting the public narrative to create transformative long-term change
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund: America’s premier legal organization fighting for racial justice. LDF seeks structural changes to expand democracy, eliminate disparities, and achieve racial justice in a society that fulfills the promise of equality for all Americans
- Communities United Against Police Brutality: helps create a climate of resistance to abuse of authority by police organizations and to empower local people with a structure that can take on police brutality and actually bring it to an end
- Reclaim the Block: Coalition that advocates for & invests in community-led safety initiatives in Minneapolis neighborhoods
- Campaign Zero: Online platform & organization that utilizes research-based policy solutions to end police brutality in America
- Unicorn Riot: Non-profit organization that is dedicated to exposing root causes of dynamic social & environmental issues
- Black Lives Matter: builds power to bring justice, healing, and freedom to Black people across the globe
- ACLU: Nonprofit organization that defends and preserves the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States
Amazon Best Sellers in Children’s Prejudice & Racism Books here
- We’re Different, We’re the Same – Sesame Street
- All are Welcome by Alexandra Penfold
- The World Needs More Purple People by Kristen Bell
- Antiracist Baby by Ibram Kendi
- Separate is Never Equal by Duncan Tonatiuh
I hope the above list and resources were helpful in taking meaningful steps and actions.
In this time period let’s be kind to one another. Let’s be honest with one another. Remember that everyone is going to respond differently. We’re human and figuring this all out together. Take some time and reflect and understand what we can do better. Let’s keep doing the work and do it with love and kindness.